International Students

Keyano College is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and can accept and enroll international students with a study permit. Read through the International Student Guide for information about applying, fees, requirements, and health insurance. 

Apply now

You can submit your application through the Alberta Post-Secondary Application System (APAS). If you would like to apply to one of our programs, you should begin the application process well in advance of the program start date. This process can take at least six months.

Our application deadlines are:

  • May 1 for the fall semester
  • September 1 for the winter semester

Application requirements

Along with your form and fee, you will need to include the following information with your application:

  • International education credentials, certificates and final exam results (These must be certified official documents)
  • A copy of your diploma or degree if applicable
  • Your English Language proficiency results
  • Any documents that your program requires

Make sure to have your documents assessed before you apply. After we review your documents, you may be required to complete an International Qualifications Assessment Service assessment on all official documents.

You must be 18 years of age or older or turning 18 within your first year, to apply to Keyano College. If you don't meet the age requirement but have a high-school diploma, you can ask for special approval from the Office of the Registrar.

Program exemptions

International students are not eligible to take the following programs offered at Keyano College:

  • Apprenticeship
  • Health Care Aide
  • Heavy Equipment Technician
  • Mechanical and Construction Trades Preparation (MCTP)
  • Power Engineering Co-op
  • Power Engineering: CML (with the exception of CNRL)
  • Pre-Employment Programs
  • Primary Care Paramedic
  • Process Operations Co-op

Get your study permit

If you're not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a valid Study Permit before you come to Canada. Apply for Study Permits through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

To get a study permit you need:

  • A valid passport or travel document
  • An acceptance letter from Keyano College
  • To provide our DLI number (09283886532) on your application
  • Proof that you can financially support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while in Canada

Health insurance

Once you're in Canada, you can subscribe to the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). Make sure to include a copy of your Study Permit or your Temporary Resident Visa when you apply to AHCIP. If you are going to be in Canada for 12 months or longer, you are required to register with AHCIP. You need to register within three months of your arrival.

Private insurance

If you don't qualify for AHCIP or you would like additional health coverage, you can purchase health insurance through a private company. Kanetix and Bridges International Services offer health insurance to international students. Check out their rates and see if private health insurance works for you.

Student benefits plan

The Students' Association of Keyano College (SAKC) offers a health and dental plan. You must be a full-time student to get the coverage.