Keyano Future students Keyano Current students Keyano Community
Welder Apprenticeship

Welder - Apprenticeship

Apprenticeship is post-secondary education with a slight deviation from the normal experience.  Apprenticeship begins with finding an employer.  Employers hire apprentices and enter into an Apprenticeship Agreement to support and tutor the apprentice while working towards their Journeyperson status.  Approximately 80% of an apprentice’s time is spent on the job under the tutelage of a certified journeyperson.  The other 20% involved attending technical training at their technical training provider of choice – such as Keyano College.

To become certified journeypersons, apprentices must learn theory and skills, and they must pass examinations.  Requirements for certification; including the content and delivery of technical training are developed and updated by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board.

The term of a Welding apprenticeship is three years (three 12 month periods) that include a minimum of 1,560 hours of on-the-job training and eight weeks of technical training each year.

2018-2019 Intake Dates

1st Period: August 27 - October 19, 2018 OR January 7 - March 1, 2019

2nd Period: October 22 - December 14, 2018 OR March 4 - April 26, 2019

3rd Period: January 7 - March 1, 2019 OR May 6 - June 28, 2019