Heavy Equipment Operator (HEO)
Upcoming course dates for Fort McMurray
(Dates are tentative and may change)
- January 8 - February 16, 2018 (In progress)
- February 20 - March 30, 2018 (Tentative)
- April 3 - May 11, 2018
- May 14 - June 22, 2018
This 6-week course is designed for students seeking entry level positions in the heavy equipment operator field. Students are provided with simulator training on the basic and safe operation of heavy equipment. Student’s complete computer based training modules in combination with simulators for practical application; this enables students to safely train in a controlled environment and receive complete, consistent and objective feedback on their performance. Students will have the opportunity to focus their skills on various pieces of equipment including: wheel loader, dozer, grader, excavator, articulating truck and off-highway truck.
The students are trained by qualified and experienced instructors and have virtually equal time doing theory and practical training. The maximum class size is 12 participants with 180 hours ( less 6 hours per statutory holiday) taking place over a 6 week period.
Our simulator lab is mobile, and we are able to offer this program in a variety of locations, including Gregoire Lake, Fort Chipewyan, Fort McKay, Conklin, Janvier, and Fort McMurray.
Is Heavy Equipment Operator the right fit for you?
- I am interested in learning how to operate heavy equipment.
- I am able to work outside in all various weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold temperatures.
- My vision and/or corrected vision and hearing is within a normal range.
- I have a mechanical aptitude and I enjoy working with machines.
- I follow instructions and take directions well.
- I can stay alert while I perform repetitive tasks.
- I have the ability to concentrate in a fast –paced work environment.
- I have good communication skills. I have clear comprehension of and the ability to communicate in the English language.
- I can work alone and in a team environment.
- I am flexible to work a variety of shifts and schedules.
- Safety is important to me and I’m committed to following and adhering to all safety procedures.
- I am physically fit and have a full range of body motions. I am able to bend, stoop and climb.
- I can perform tasks with repetitive action and can tolerate sitting for extensive periods of times.
- I will be exposed to vibrations and bouncing from operating heavy equipment.
- I am able to perform occasional and moderate physical labour when required.
- I am able to lift or carry items up to 50 lbs.
- I have good manual and finger dexterity, as well as eye-hand and foot coordination.
- I have the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions including exposure to noise, dust, dirt and mud.
See Admission Requirements for details on the application and admission process.
If you have any questions, please contact our Admissions Advisor at 780.791.4962 or the Program Coordinator at 780.799.8609.