Students who successful complete the Haul Truck Operator course may be eligible for a work placement with one of our industry partners - Syncrude or Suncor.
Work placements are usually 3-4 months fully paid with the possibility of extension up to 1 year. Work placements are selected by the College, students do not select the site at which they are being placed. The rate of pay for the placements range between $30 - $40 per hour. Students may be offered work term extensions by their employers, however, the College will only recognize the three month work term on their certificates.
Our industry partners have various pre-employment testing and to be eligible to be placed at their site students would be required to complete the testing. All partners will require a site specific medical and drug screening prior to work commencement.
We have partners that have additional personality and employment testing, students will have the option to complete this testing. However, only the students who successfully complete this testing will be eligible to be placed at their sites. Some partners also require criminal record checks, students will provide these directly to the employer.
Recent Postings for Haul Truck Operators
Date: Mar 29, 2017
LOCATION: Fort McMurray, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 12361
Looking for a great opportunity to join our Fort McMurray mining team? In this temporary position, you will be a vital contributor to our oil sands mining operations, operating either a CAT or Komatsu haul truck, or transporting raw material from the mine for processing.
- Participate in our Journey to Zero safety program by operating safely and driving to conditions
- Follow our operating standards and procedures
- Operate various makes and models of haul trucks
- Complete walk-arounds, safety checks and field level risk assessments and ensure the heavy equipment is running properly
- Report any necessary repairs to the maintenance team or supervisors
- Report all incidents, damage and near misses immediately
- Communicate updates to your supervisor to ensure goals and objectives are met
Experience and Education:
- Preference is for one of the following operating experiences:
- Five years of overall experience, with at least one year working in an open-pit mining industry setting operating the following heavy equipment: CAT 777+, Komatsu 930, or Lieberr haul trucks, D8+ dozer, 988 loader, 16+ grader, and/or 700+ backhoe
- Five or more years of experience in mining, oil and gas, civil earthworks, and/or pipelines on heavy equipment such as D6 dozer, 950 loader, 20-100 tonne rock trucks, skid steer, and/or scraper
- In your resume, please indicate the type and size of the equipment you've operated, the company you worked for, and the month and year your employment started and finished with each company)
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong focus on safety training and an exceptional safety record
- You continually seek greater knowledge about the systems, processes and hazards in the workplace, in order to understand not just what you do but why you do it
- You do not take or tolerate shortcuts and if the procedure is incorrect, you fix it
- You constantly ask what could go wrong and check for out-of-the-ordinary conditions and learn to anticipate potential problems
- This is a temporary position until June 2018
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- The shift schedule is a six days on/six days off rotation (three days on, three nights on, six days off; 12 hour shifts)
- Your primary residence must be within 60 km of Fort McMurray
We want you to have a job you’re genuinely excited about – as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. Suncor is a company where you can contribute in a meaningful way, grow your skills and career, and achieve success.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Trade & Operators
Job Segment: Sustainability, Offshore Oil, Energy
North American Construction Group is hiring in Fort McMurray.
If you have experience operating heavy machinery like:
North American Construction Group might have the perfect position for you.
Join one of Fort McMurray’s strongest teams – North American Construction Group.
To browse all job listings, visit www.nacg.ca, click on ‘Careers’ and choose Trades & Operator Positions.
With over 60 years of experience, North American Construction Group (NACG) is a premier provider of heavy construction and mining services in Canada. Our focus on people and relationships, and our uncompromising commitment to health and safety, allows us to acquire some of the best talent in the industry. Our knowledgeable and talented personnel set us apart from the competition with an unrivaled attention to detail and level of care. We can tackle any job while still adhering to the highest standards of safety and quality.
Successful candidates will be required to join the OE955 union.
This is a site based position at Suncor, schedule is 14x7 and camp accommodations are NOT provided.
- Min 1 year experience in mining atmosphere running rigid frame trucks 777 and up to 793 and 830/930 .
All successful candidates must:
- Be proficient in English, both verbally and written
- Have a valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Have experience as requested as mentioned above
- Undergo and successfully pass the following testing:
- Breath Alcohol Test
- Urine Drug Test
- Fitness-to-Work Assessment
- Audiometric Testing
- Vision Screening
- Criminal Record Check
Shift, site, and start times are subject to change.
All successful candidates MUST provide the following items prior to confirmation of their start date:
- OSSA or OSSA (BSO) Certification
- CSTS Certification
- Copy of Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Copy of recent Driver’s Abstract
- VOID cheque/direct deposit form
Once dispatched the following processes will occur:
- Will receive a call from NACG to set up all required pre-employment testing
- An email will be sent with all required New Hire Paperwork to be filled out
- After all results are received by NACG candidates will be contacted by Site Admin to schedule orientation and confirm your start date and other site specific details.
Please note the entire On-boarding process can take anywhere from 3-8 business days.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED VIA PHONE OR EMAIL.
Suncor and Syncrude Base Mine Sites
Safe and efficient operation of large scale mining equipment on a rotational shift (7 on – 7 off, days & nights). Specifically looking for operational experience with Haul Trucks, D8-D11 dozers, graders, and Excavators. The operators will ensure production requirements are met in a safe and efficient manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform assigned duties in a safe, efficient and environmentally secure manner;
• Communicate with shift supervision, operations and maintenance to achieve daily plans and activities;
• Ensure safe and effectiveness equipment operation and maintaining cleanliness standards of KMC;
• Participate in a work environment that supports KMC Operating Priorities and Values
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Minimum 1 year competent & relevant equipment operations experience.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with all or most of the listed equipment
• Valid Driver’s license
• CSTS & OSSA or Basic Safety Orientation (or equivalent)
• All project and work details to be discussed during interviews
• Only candidates that are selected for interviews will be contact. We thank all others for their interest in careers at KMC mining.
• Successful candidates will be required to successfully pass a substance testing protocol.
Interested applicants can send their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a contract company interested in hiring a Keyano student from the Haul Truck Operator course, please contact 780-799-8604.
According to recent studies released in Alberta and BC, Heavy Equipment Operators will be in the top 10 most in-demand jobs in both provinces.
Alberta Skill Shortages
Oil Sands Labour Demands Outlook to 2022
Globe & Mail
Job Search Links