Keyano Future students Keyano Current students Keyano Community

Admission Requirements

Keyano College accepts 50 students into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program every year. Applications are accepted from October 1 to April 15 of the preceding year. Applications received after the deadline will be considered if capacity permits. 70% of the offers will be sent out on February 1st, and the remaining 30% of offers will be sent out after April 15th. Of the remaining 30% of offers, preference will be give to applicants who are graduates of the Regional Municipality of Woodbuffalo in 2019. 

Minimum overall average of at least 75% in five appropriate matriculation subjects, with no mark below 50%.

The appropriate subjects are:

  • English 30-1 (65% required)
  • Biology 30
  • Chemistry 30 or Science 30
  • One of Math 30-1, Math 30-2 or Math 31
  • Subject from Group A, B or C

Mature Student Entry

Applicants over 21 years of age must present an overall average of at least 75% with no mark below 65% in English 30-1 and no mark below 50% in Chemistry 30 or Science 30, and Biology 30.

Also See General Admission Requirements on page 83.

Applicants with Post-Secondary Credits

Applicants who have post-secondary educational credits will have their averages calculated based on a 60/40 split. 60% of the GPA is derived from required high school courses, and the remaining 40% GPA is derived from the last 24 credits of post-secondary work.

Applicants of Aboriginal Ancestry

Five seats per year are made available in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program for qualified applicants of Aboriginal ancestry. If qualified applicants are not admitted by April 15, the positions may be filled with students of non-Aboriginal ancestry. Aboriginal ancestry is defined within the Constitutional Act of 1982, Section 35, Subsection 2. According to this Constitutional Act, Aboriginal peoples of Canada include Inuit, Indian and Métis peoples of Canada (Department of Justice, Canada, 1982).

English Language Proficiency

  • TOEFL: iBT – minimum score of 79 with no score below 19
  • IELTS with at least 6.5 with no score below 5.0
  • CAEL minimum score of 70
  • MELAB minimum score of 85

Please see our Credit Calendar on page 15 for other ways to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements. 

Spoken Language Proficiency

In addition to demonstrating English Language Proficiency, applicants whose first language is not English, regardless of country of origin or citizenship, must also present Spoken Language Proficiency. Applicants who have six or more years of full-time education in English, normally including the grade 12 year or higher, in a Canadian school (or an approved school outside of Canada with accepted English proficiency) meet this requirement. If applicants do not present these years of English education, they may be able to meet this requirement by presenting:

  • A minimum of 26 on the speaking band of the TOEFL: iBT or
  • A minimum of 7.5 on the IELTS speaking band or
  • Minimum if 50 on the University of Alberta's Speak Test

For upgrading options, please refer to the Academic Upgrading program.

For international students, please refer to the International section.

Advanced credit may be granted to applicants who have completed equivalent education at a post-secondary institution, please refer to the Prior Learning and Assessment section.